Toyota turns to open source for in-vehicle technology
Toyota Motor Corp. announced Wednesday it will use an open-source technology platform — known as the Automotive Grade Linux (AGL) system — in the infotainment system of its remodeled Camry sedan, reports Reuters.
Ten global automakers are currently collaborating to build the AGL platform for vehicle applications, hoping to build a vendor-agnostic platform for vehicle infotainment systems.
- About 70% of the Camry’s new operating platform consists of generic coding, while the remaining 30% was customized for the Camry, Toyota told Reuters.
Most automakers today make cars compatible with CarPlay from Apple or Android Auto from Google. But using systems from Apple or Google means those companies keep all the user data. By building their own open source system, the automakers will get that data instead. Such data can help car makers focus on delivering services and features of most interest to consumers, and therefore potentially improve sales.
Open source is often praised for its ability to foster innovation, but security of open source is an ongoing concern. A 2016 survey sponsored by Black Duck found not all end users of open source software are taking adequate security measures.
As vehicles become more tech-based, security is becoming a bigger problem. In 2015, security experts proved in a controlled test that they could use the internet to take control of a car as it drives. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles consequently recalled 1.4 million vehicles to fix a software defect that could allow hackers to control multiple vehicle functions. Car makers are going to have to ensure there are no lurking security concerns with open source code to ensure cars don't become a moving target for hackers.